Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Pursuit of Happiness:

What Is Happiness? Where Can It Be Found?

Happiness is a mixed emotion.

It is easy to fake happiness so I will make a distinction perhaps; I'll define (from my own perspective of course) shallow or immediate happiness and then true,deep happiness.

First,that instant-gratification sort of happiness. The one that comes out in a laugh or smile at a joke or a tickle,when you've escaped your life for the night at the pub or backroom,or ....maybe being wrapped up in the arms of someone you momentarily are expressing yummy feelings towards? Its that wreckless emotional,up and down sort of happiness. I have to explain that there is an innocent sort of this happiness...the naivety of a child growing into a teenager,not knowing what they will have to struggle for now.

I guess thats a good way to describe my next definition: true happiness. That free,blissful depth of joy that children dwell in. If thats not happiness,I don't know what is.
As people putting off childish things, we can't know that same happiness anymore. We aren't meant to, because we are supposed to grow up. So we should move into a different type of the same happiness: genuine surrender. Ok,I know what you're thinking...."What the heck? Thats not the answer I thought it'd be." Am I right? So genuine surrender...its the extent of humility. Surrender to what? Well first to God,the steward of all prosperity,hope,love,dreams,peace,and yes,happiness. And then to the just laws and authority He has placed in your life. That would include loving your neighbor as yourself.

I think the best source of happiness is relationships. Not just lovey-dovey. Thats not enough, though it's a vital part. I mean family, friends, pastors, leaders, teachers, younger generations, older generations, and most important?...you guessed it...God. When you are relating right to everyone around you and above you, you are surrounded by release. A release of happiness. Even in the times of trial, struggle, loss, failure, and grief. Every tear can be faced with joy. Not out of insanity and unreality, but in the reality of providence: that all things will work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose. (P.S. That applies to everyone.)

Its so simple: Happiness is free-falling.
Not hindered,not unjust,nor foolish. It's trusting.

Happiness is letting go. It can be found in a willing heart,a sober mind,and an upright,courageous spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment